Not sure how to promote your band or new music? Here’s a quick-and-dirty list of 30 music promotion tips that you can start implementing right now:
1. Create a great website.
2. Design a professional press kit.
3. Network to build your contacts.
4. Create a mailing list.
5. Form a street team.
6. Sign up with mp3 websites and artist communities.
7. Create an EPK.
8. Design and use business cards.
9. Design merch for sale and give-aways.
10. Get involved with charity events, like benefit shows.
11. Post flyers before all of your events.
12. Distribute coupons for your CD or merch to your best fans.
13. Give away, or sell, stickers or window decals.
14. Design postcards to send notice of a release or url to an EPK.
15. Get birthdays from fans on your mailing list, and send e-cards.
16. Work out joint-promotions w/ other bands or businesses.
17. Hold contests on your site or at shows for your fans.
18. Produce magnetic signs band members can use for their cars.
19. Have a large banner printed for bigger shows.
20. Exchange web links with other bands and businesses.
21. Optimize your website for search engines.
22. Provide graphics on your site for fans to make their own merch.
23. Write articles and contribute them to indie music sites.
24. Search for niche media, like local cable stations or college radio.
25. Donate equipment for others’ shows in exchange for publicity.
26. Send all of your news to your local papers.
27. Pay attention to how other bands promote themselves.
28. Run a survey on your site to see what your fans really want.
29. Develop a complete business and marketing plan for the band.
30. Include your name and logo everywhere. Consistency is key.